Jump Start U Helps Fight Obesity
In Children and Adolescents
Overweight children and adolescents are at risk of serious health problems such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems.
To help patients who are overweight, we offer Jump Start U, a program available to children and adolescents who have been referred by their physician. The program's goal is to teach healthy eating and lifestyle habits that can be used throughout life.
Because family cooperation is essential, parents are required to participate in the progress evaluations and attend the group nutrition and exercise sessions. (Don't worry - you don't have to participate in the exercise sessions - just be there to watch and support your child).
Both the parents and the child/adolescent sign a contract explaining what the program includes and how they are to participate.
Participants typically stay in the program for at least six months as they learn the skills needed to continue to have healthy eating habits and lifestyles after they have completed the program.
Each patient in Jump Start U is provided:
• An initial physical assessment by his/her physician
• An initial dietary assessment and goal setting appointment that includes a personalized dietary plan.
• Monthly group dietary sessions held at Henry County Hospital
• Progress Evaluations scheduled every two-three weeks at New Castle Pediatrics
• Group Exercise sessions held on Monday and Wednesday at the Henry County YMCA for patients ages 5 - 12
• Supervised individual exercise in the Wellness Center at the Henry County YMCA for patients over the age of 12
• Behavioral modification counseling sessions scheduled as needed
Staffing for the program is provided by:
Dave Pryor, ACSM Certified Health/Fitness Specialist
Amy Wright, RD
Steve Nelson, ACSW
Jim Nelson, LCSW
For more information about our program, speak with your physician at New Castle Pediatrics.